Hired cars can be an added bonus to any vacation as they are not only great value for money but it also makes it easier to truly experience the ‘island life’ as not every part of the island can be easily accessed by bus – or comfortably by foot!
With Barbados being 21 miles long and 14 miles wide, it’s pretty easy to navigate your way around this little gem, so take a look at our list to help you get started on your adventure!
Popular Car Hire Companies
1. Direct Car Rentals
Offers Economy and SUV vehicles. They also offer people carriers for larger groups. Delivery & pickup at the Airport or client’s hotel/residence island-wide is also included as well as 24-hour emergency service – all free of charge!
Special equipment such as child safety seats can be provided at a minimal charge.
For further information, call (246) 420-6372 or visit www.barbadosrentals.net
2. Courtesy Rent-A-Car
Along with free delivery & pickup at the Airport or client’s hotel/residence island-wide, they also offer Luxury, Economy and even Off-Road vehicles to meet your every need and budget.
What’s more, they also offer a reward system for repeat clients. With your rewards, you can get anything from special discounts on rentals to special offers on attractions and even a free cocktail or two!
For further information, call (246) 431-4160 or visit www.courtesyrentacar.com
Offers a variety of vehicles ranging from the popular Mini Mokes to Jeeps, to large Vans and SUVs and even luxury Mercedes-Benz vehicles.
They also offer a route planner and road maps, 24-hour emergency service and delivery and pick-up to all Ports of Call, Hotels and Guest Houses- all free of charge!
For further information, call 1-800-581-8773 / (246) 434-8440 or visit www.carhire.tv
4. Stoutes Car Rental
Offers jeeps, mini mokes, vans and sedans. They also offer free delivery & pickup at the Airport or client’s hotel/residence island-wide, 24-hour roadside assistance as well as detailed maps of the island and directions to their destination.
For further information, call (246)-416-4456 or visit www.stoutescar.com
5. Coconut Car Rentals
The official ‘Dollar Rent A Car’ representatives for Barbados, Coconut Car Rentals offers a variety of vehicles ranging from Sedans to Jeeps to SUVs.
Along with 24-hour support and delivery and pick-up to all Ports of Call, Hotels and Guest Houses- all free of charge, they also provide many different types of tours and transportation services such as private tours, transportation services for VIPS, and even weddings!
For further information, call (246) 437-0297 or visit www.coconutcars.com
3 Smaller Alternatives
For when the more popular options are fully booked!
1. Corbin’s Car Rentals
Delivery & pickup are not offered from the airport, but they deliver and pickup from anywhere else on the island. Along with jeeps, mini mokes, vans and sedans, they also offer 24 hr road assistance.
Child, as well as booster seats, are available – at an additional cost.
For further information, call (246) 427-9531 or visit www.corbinscars.com
2. Express Car Rentals
Located in St Lawrence Gap, ‘Express Car Rentals’ offers mini mokes, sedans, jeeps and vans perfect for family vacations.
Payment is accepted only in cash.
For further information, call (246) 428-7845
3. Top Class Car Rentals
Along with also free delivery & pickup at the Airport or client’s hotel/residence island-wide, 24-hour roadside assistance as well as free road maps, they also offer sedans, jeeps and vans perfect for family vacations.
Baby seats are also available – at an additional cost.
For further information, call (246) 228-7368 or visit www.topclassrentals.com
Tips To Keep In Mind
It’s very easy and safe to drive and travel in Barbados, but here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- A Barbados Temporary Driver’s License (issued at the time of rental at a cost of $5USD) must be purchased. The driver must present a valid driver’s license (from the resident country) to qualify. An international driver’s license cannot be used in lieu of a Barbados Temporary Driver’s License.
- Be aware of the Speed limits in Barbados. The majority of roads in Barbados have limits of 60km/ph whereas, The ABC and Spring Garden Highway has a limit of 80km/ph.
- In Barbados, we drive on the left side of the road.
- For a small island, there are alot of roundabouts so always excerise caution when approaching them. But, as a rule of thumb, if you are taking the first left exit off the roundabout, stay in the left lane; for all other exits, remain in the right lane.
- Seatbelts are compulsory for both drivers and passengers. If you are caught without one, you will be required to pay a hefty fine of $500 or imprisonment of six months – so be safe and buckle up!
- Children under the age of five will require a child seat, which you can hire from most car rental companies. Please enquire within to make sure the correct size is available.
Originally published on Caribound
Like it? Pin It!